Wednesday 13 October 2021

Snaggletooth MAL Week 4 - The Final Week!

 


Well this is it, the final week of the Snaggletooth MAL! We made it to Week 4 and what an absolute blast of colourful fun it has been! Last week was totally excellent: I had no idea there were such strong feeling out there in the yarn community about whether to Tassel-Pompom-Or-Neither! The issue was debated passionately but good naturedly by Team Tassel, Team Pompom and Team Neither (I'm thinking maybe we could teach those politicians a thing or two... just saying)... If you want to catch up with links to join in the hot yarn topic of the day, I'll add them at the end of the post.

So, this week we'll be celebrating your finished masterpieces and I'll be showing you a couple of super-cute ideas too. But before all that, I'd like to say a huge thank you to Scheepjes for inviting me to collaborate with them on this MAL, and in particular to their INCREDIBLE team of Moderators who have offered endless advice, enthusiasm and joy to this project! Thank you!

As I mentioned last time, every Snaggletooth on every hook around the world makes me feel so happy, and I'd like to say thanks to everyone who joined in. I hope you are all enjoying this particular style of inset/2-row crochet that has stolen my heart. Here are just a few of the wonderful Snaggletooths I have spotted on the socials this week:


I love this gorgeous colour combination, with coordinating cushion, by Ruth Lambert @the.woolly.librarian on IG. She used Chunky Monkey and it looks stunning! (I'm rather keen on that chair too...)

Another Chunky Monkey Snaggletooth beauty, this time by Mimi @mimivclark on IG. That fresh yellow border just finishes it off perfectly. Definitely Team Pompom!


A very pretty version (love the styling too) by @tracy_jo18 on IG. Again, that edging just takes it to a new level of loveliness!

Niamh Holcroft's version on FB is made from 2 Whirls (Sea Breeze Tease), one worked from the outside, one from the inside. The result is magical wouldn't you agree?

Vera Hoefs on FB has used Colour Crafter for her Snaggletooth. I love her clever use  of complementary colours for the main throw, with that fun pop of pink on the border.


A classic houndstooth in black and white by Brigitte Culp on FB is brought to life with an amazing goldy-copper edging and fabulous pompoms!



Theresa Pearson on FB tried two different colours for the border... this stylish black one...
...and this popping fun pink one! Incredible how the edging can transform the look of the Snaggletooth pattern! (I love them both by the way, Theresa!!)
Some beautiful autumnal shades here by @richasmandmade on IG. I love the wide border and the beautiful houseplants too! 

Michelle Fedele-Turney on FB has made a beautiful version in Colour Crafter,  very much Team Pompom!






Look at this yarn shop window! Debby Spruitenburg's Colour Crafter version on FB is proudly on display in her yarn shop in Zoetermeer, Netherlands. 
 

Ineke Laagland on FB has made this very stylish Snaggletooth in Chunky Monkey. Those soft colours together are timeless and elegant. Team Tassel looking very good indeed!





Thank you as ever to everyone for permission to use your images.

Well, to wrap things up here in Snaggletooth Land, I thought we'd finish with a couple of extra projects, just in case you want to try out more ways of working this great pattern. Of course, I can't finish this MAL off without one more photo of the inspiration for the name Snaggletooth. Here he is, Mr Hank Deluxe, getting in the way of the crochet as ever:



What I made here is a baby Snaggletooth, worked in Scheepjes Metropolis (1 ball of each in Sevilla, Cota and Karachi) on a 3.5mm hook. I started with ch76 (which is calculated by using the starting chain multiple of (5 x 14 ch) + 6 ch.) I made seven repeats of the pattern, then not only added the dotty border to the top and bottom, but also to the sides too. This was so easy to do: once you have edged the two sides as explained in the pattern, you simply follow Rows 3-6 of the Top and Bottom Edging pattern, adjusting the final 'dot' at the end of Row 3 in order to finish the row correctly. 
The finished sample measured approximately 40 x 40cm, perfect for a cushion cover. You can either crochet a back panel, or do as I did and sew the crocheted front cover onto a piece of fabric cut to 42 x 42cm which gives you a 1cm seam allowance. 
And here it is, my finished Snaggletooth cushion!


Oh OK, just one more picture with Hank Deluxe. Guardian of the Snaggletooth. He really is such a massive show-off...



And the final Snaggletooth project before I go... some of you may have seen this on social media and I HAVE to share it! I cannot tell you how much I love it!!! If you are new to the tiny crocheted universe of Kwannie at @studiomanya then you really need to go and check out her work. She's amazing! Anyway, she took the Snaggletooth pattern and on a tiny hook (I think 1.25mm) and with Scheepjes Sweet Treat she made this TINY SNAGGLETOOTH to go with her tiny bed and tiny pillows and tiny bedside cabinet:



Isn't it just the sweetest Snaggletooth in the world? Doll's Houses have never looked so stylish! Thanks so much Kwannie, you blow me away with your incredible tiny work!

So there we are, thank you to you all for your lovely comments and enthusiasm for this MAL. I hope you have enjoyed this project as much as I have. If you'd like to try more designs by me, don't forget my new book Mosaic Crochet Workshop is out now from major and independant booksellers, full of fabulous designs using the same crochet method as Snaggletooth. And every single design and project in the book is made with Scheepjes yarn, because I love it all so much. Here are just a few of the many projects featured in the book:



 




Front cover shows Misty Mountains Throw.
Clockwise from Top Left: Dutch Houses Throw, YES Throw, Bumblebee Throw, Diamonds Throw.

If you want to see even more of my designs, head over to my Etsy shop HERE and Ravelry shop HERE for lots more pattern, colour and yarn!

Take care, keep safe, and happy crocheting, everyone!

Esme x

You can find the friendly Scheepjes Facebook community here:


and 



The Snaggletooth pattern is available as a paid pattern on Ravelry HERE but I am delighted to offer it to you as a free gift from me to you with the code ScheepjesMAL until 20 October when you check out on Ravelry. It is also available as a paid pattern only (not free) in my Etsy shop HERE.


PREVIOUS POSTS

Over and out xx






No comments:

Post a Comment