Wednesday 8 September 2021

A BIG Announcement!

Well hello there everyone! I’m Esme, a crochet designer from the beautiful East of England, and I’m thrilled to be working with Scheepjes to bring you the SNAGGLETOOTH MAKE-ALONG, or MAL for short! This MAL kicks off on September 22 and runs for 4 weeks. 


This beautiful, geometric Snaggletooth throw is made using the 2-row mosaic crochet technique, and even if you have never tried it before or need to brush up on your skills, don't worry! I'll be giving you lots of step-by-step help, top tips and pictures to get you Snaggletoothing in no time!

If you want to get involved, the Scheepjes Snaggletooth MAL will be taking place on these facebook pages:


OFFICIAL SCHEEPJES INTERNATIONAL GROUP


And 


OFFICIAL SCHEEPJES NEDERLANDSE GROEP



You’ll find plenty of help and support from the amazing Scheepjes team and from myself there, so I look forward to seeing you all and having a look at all your amazing projects! I am delighted to tell you the pattern will be available for FREE on Ravelry, as my gift to you from the start of the MAL on 22 September! But if you would like to get ahead and start early, the Snaggletooth pattern is available to purchase in both ENGLISH and DUTCH on Ravelry HERE and on Etsy HERE right now. But of course if you prefer, just wait until 22 September when you can receive the pattern for free using the code ScheepjesMAL on Ravelry! This code will be available for the duration of the MAL from 22 September to 20 October.


In addition, pop in here to my blog every week from 22 September to 13 October 2021 to find lots of information, explanation and inspiration to help you on your Snaggletooth journey! In Week 1, we’ll be looking at the technique of 2-row mosaic crochet with a handy step-by-step photo tutorial. Week 2 will be all about the edging techniques. Tassels and pompoms will be on our minds in Week 3, and Week 4 will wrap everything up with looking at different colourways, yarn weights, and how easy it is to adjust the pattern to make Snaggletooth your own!


DESIGN INSPIRATION

This is a design which encompasses everything I love about crochet: It’s bold, it’s fun, it’s geometric and cool, and most of all, it’s far easier to make than it looks! My kind of crochet! 

My inspiration for Snaggletooth is of course a traditional houndstooth pattern. I found this gorgeous yellow and black coat in a charity shop and HAD to try and make a crochet houndstooth design. Much chart work and frustration followed, until I got it! I’m so pleased with its simplicity and style.




And the name comes from my cat Hank Deluxe as he pulls some really excellent snaggletooth faces. Like many cats, he often has a tooth hanging out which makes him look fierce and cute at the same time.



WHAT DO YOU NEED?

To make your very own version of this lovely throw with its zingy pink pattern and fun yellow edging, you will need the following yarn:

Scheepjes Colour Crafter (100% Premium Acrylic (Anti Pilling); 100g/300m):

Yarn A: 2017 Verviers x 3 balls for the background

Yarn B: 1257 Hilversum x 3 balls for the pink zing!

Yarn C: 1712 Nijmegen x 1 ball for the edging and pompoms

Plus a 5.5mm crochet hook, and a 65mm pompom maker or some cardboard to make pompoms, should you wish! (Pompoms not obligatory... I just happen to be obsessed with them.)


BONUS PATTERN

In addition to the Colour Crafter version, I thought it would be fun to show you how great this design looks using different yarn weights and hook sizes. So, at the end of the pattern, you will find all the information you need to make a version in Scheepjes Chunky Monkey yarn, which is just SO SQUISHY and COSY! I totally love this version! This heavy hitter (it weighs in at 1.8kg!) is made from the following:

Scheepjes Chunky Monkey (100% Premium Acrylic (Anti Pilling); 100g/116m):

Yarn A: 1011 Slate x 9 balls

Yarn B: 2017 Stone x 8 balls

Yarn C: 1422 Aqua x 3 balls

on a 6.5mm crochet hook.

As the pattern is completely adjustable to a starting chain multiple of x 14 + 6, I reduced the starting chain to ch118, so I had 117 dc at the end of Row 1.





FUN WITH COLOUR

But of COURSE I want you to have fun, explore the colours, go your own way with your interpretation of this pattern, because this is a project all about you making it your own. To help you get the colour ideas flowing, I have made a colouring chart to help you try out some combinations. You’ll need 2 colours for the main throw, then an extra colour (combined with one of the main colours if you like) for the edging.

You can download the handy colouring chart HERE

Here are some of my own charts which I coloured in to play along!






In addition, I really want to share some fantastic versions made by the crochet community to give you even more ideas! Check out these beauties from some of my friends and testers on the socials:


Anneli from @kottaia100 has used some beautiful soft shades of Stone Washed













This vibrant orange version in Colour Crafter is by Claire @crochetfromtheoast












Fabulous: it looks so cool when you invert the pink and white! This beauty is by Benita from @senoritabenita

This amazing purple and black Snaggletooth is being beautifully modelled by its maker, the lovely Toyah from @penelopeandthesquish, made in Colour Crafter








...and last but not least this lovely coral and teal version in Softfun by Erin from @USC2000












Thanks so much to everyone for letting me share their fabulous pictures with you all!


So that's it for now, I hope I have whetted your Snaggletooth appetites and I look forward to seeing you here on September 22 for Week 1 of the MAL, where we start making a swatch using this fantastic 2-row mosaic crochet technique. See you then!

Esme x

9 comments:

  1. I can't wait to make this beautiful blanket. Can you tell me, is there a way to use the colouring chart electronically? I feel like there must be an app that zaps the colour choices in or am I being too optimistic?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the 22nd. Not sure which colors I’ll use, but since I have all of them, I’ll be ready!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The code is not working on Ravelry. It says it is expired. What time should it go live?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edit re above. I’m in UK so it is already 22/9/21 and it is 02.58am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its the afternoon of the 22nd here in Australia. Just tried the code on Ravelry but doesn't seem to be working yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The link worked for me but my printer jammed and when I went back to print the pattern was gone. Now the link doesn’t work, it takes me straight to PayPal��‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is really a gorgeous and easy to do pattern. I am working on two versions with Stonewashed XL and it's so fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super mooie deken ik kijk er naar uit om te beginnen ermee gr Els

    ReplyDelete